Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Perfect, Complicated, Don't get it...



There's something I don't understand. When you are in a relationship, there's this suffocating need to be perfect. Like when you know you have an appointment with the dentist, you all of a sudden start flossing. All year long, that small plastic box of dental floss has been gathering dust on your bathroom sink, but the minute you get a call from your dentist to schedule a cleanup, you start flossing religiously every night before going to bed and if you had time, you'd even do it in the morning. As though that would make up for a year of meat scraps gathering between your molars. The same way, when you start dating someone, all of a sudden, you start seeing the mess in your room, you feel bad about wasting a day of study, you start reconsidering your vocabulary (well not really, but you can almost feel the hesitation in your throat when you say "shit"). You want to appear mature, intelligent, knowledgeable, but at the same time fun and easygoing. I'm sorry, is that even possible in the world we live in? There is no such thing as a perfect being. But we tend towards it and even more when we are dating someone. But why? Shouldn't we want to be in relationships so that we can be ourselves? With all our imperfections, our doubts, our fears, our mess (after all, that's just us expressing the nature of the world... a higher entropy makes daddy universe happy). Is it because dating someone makes you think, this is it. This is the rest of my life, so all the things I put aside for later, all the things I said I'd do, all the things I said I'd be, well it's now or never. Kinda like when you get close to graduating and, well, you never did that exchange, you never got involved in a case competition, you never participated in a student association, you never went to that many networking sessions, and it's now or never. You feel the pressure to grow up and be the best you'll ever be. It slowly erases the uncertainty of the future and with it the possibilities that keep you sane and able to sleep at night. Man, I don't want to grow up! I don't want to pick a career! The future is scary because I've been putting it off for such a long time and now the deadline is slowly coming to an end. So you soon have to hand in your life's essay but you haven't even written the intro yet. Eh merde alors! I don't want to botch this one up. I might get away with botching up an extended essay or a history essay or a lab report or a business plan, but not this. Because I'm the one grading it this time and I sure as hell won't pass myself with this lack of effort and motivation. And that was one too many school metaphors. Oooookkk, time to go to that dentist appointment now!

No comments:

Post a Comment