Sunday, January 31, 2010

Analysis of a modern day common song

Changing from the philosophically-scientific tone of previous posts, I am now going to discus a song by The Academy Is...

It is not particularly critical of society (there's one deep line in the entire song) and, if I think about it, this post exists mostly because I like two lines in the song and the video is kind of different. What I mean by that is that it contrasts a sunny and cheery setting with nostalgic music. Usually, with a song like this, a scene with the singer standing in the rain or on the board of a cliff or at least falling on his knees while screaming his lungs out is a must. Here he seems so very detached as if everything is kept behind a mask. Though there is the whole "falling into the pool, I'll let myself drown because my life sucks bou hou hou" part which ruins the concept a tad bit, but overall it's a nice video and the rewind timeline is actually pretty cool (yes, I'm a sucker for non-linear, non-traditional timelines...I think it spices things up and keeps you awake during a movie or video in this case).

Now if I look at the lyrics, there are mainly 3 points of interest. Starting with the most shallow of the list (and ironically the reason I chose to waste half an hour of my life talking about this song), there are two lines in the song that just sound really good and flow nicely:

I am no gentleman, I can be a prick
And I do regret more than I admit


I am not going to analyze the consonants, vowels or rime scheme. This is not an English class so I can afford to just say that I like how it sounds and end it there.

Next, there's this other line with which they actually end the song (yes I know it's also repeated in the middle, but I find that it has the biggest effect at the end because the music fades and emphasis is put on the lyrics). I find it's a really cute imagery, even though they're talking about bugs. Though even that could be explained through the fact that the guy feels so small and unimportant in the girl's eyes that he compares himself to a fly.

I'll be with you wherever you go, through the eyes of a fly on a wall.

Finally, the one deep line in the song which is actually quite interesting says: Take the pain out of love and then love won't exist. Now this could be interpreted in a couple of ways.

1. The guy is a masochist and can't imagine his life without pain in the sense that love without pain doesn't exist (yeah yeah, I know what you're saying...not very likely). But actually it does make sense. When you're in love, you make yourself completely and utterly vulnerable in front of that other person and sooner or later you will get hurt whether intentionally or not, for the simple reason that we're only humans and nobody is perfect.

2. In order to be able to enjoy love to its fullest you need to overcome obstacles (hence the pain). Because if everything goes too well and there are never any arguments, at one point you start taking the other for granted, you forget to put effort in your relationship and you just end up drifting apart (I feel like somehow there's a flaw in that argument, but I'm too lazy to look for it right now).

3. I can't think of a third explanation but I'm sure there's something...

So there, I voluntarily made an analysis of a song. The world must be coming to an end. Maybe the Mayans messed up their calendar and the end of the world in not in 2012. Maybe, maybe...There was a saying that went somewhere along the lines of "Avec des si on metterait Paris en bouteille" which means with ifs we could put Paris in a bottle. And now I am rambling. Ok after this huge description/analysis here's the actual video:




You were the only face I'd ever known.
I was the light from the lamp on the floor,
and only as bright as you wanted me to be.
But, I am no gentleman, I can be a prick,
and I do regret more than I admit.
You have been followed back to the same place I sat with you drink for drink.
Take the pain out of love and then love won't exist.

Everything we had, everything we had,
everything we had, everything we had is no longer there.

It was the only place I'd never known.
Turned off the light on my way out the door.
I will be watching wherever you go,
through the eyes of a fly on the wall.
You have been followed back to the same place I sat with you drink for drink.
Take the pain out of love and then love won't exist.

Everything we had, everything we had,
everything we had, everything we had is no longer there, longer there.

You saw for yourself, the way it played out.
For you, I am blinded.
For you, I am blinded, for you.

I am no gentleman, I can be a prick.
And I do regret more than I admit.
You have been followed back to the same place I sat with you drink for drink.
Take the pain out of love and then love won't exist.

Everything we had, everything we had,
everything we had, everything we had.
Everything we had, everything we had,
everything we had...

I'll be with you wherever you go,
through the eyes of a fly on the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment