Sunday, November 29, 2009

Beautifully Imperfect

Ok, straying away from the philosophical mood (I seem to be doing this quite often lately actually), here's a video that actually made me cry the first time I saw it (yes, yes, big crybaby that I am). Well actually, now that I think about it, maybe there is a bit of philosophy to the video. It basically just looks at relationships from a different perspective and I've been trying to wrap my head around it for the past year or so, but I find it a bit difficult.

Every girl grows up with this fantasy idea of the perfect marriage, the perfect husband, the perfect family. And then as you gather experience in life, you realize just how naive you have been and you can't help becoming a bit cynical. You swear off men and relationships, you decide that you NEVER want to get married and that children are definitely not the thing for you. But then what? Do you end up one of those old ladies who dies alone surrounded by her 10 cats?

Life is not an all or nothing deal. You win some, you lose some, and, in the end, you are as happy as you make yourself be. Perfection does not exist in this world and that is something I can live with. I can even understand that the person who you choose to spend the rest of your life with (or the next year or two, depending on what your view of a long term relationship is) will most certainly have flaws that you will have to cope with and that sometimes you will have to bite your tongue during an argument in order to avoid hurting the other or simply because it's your turn to give in.

But to love someone because of their flaws? How can that work in the long term? Sure at the beginning when you fall in love, you see everything that the other does as being adorable or funny, but that's just the effect of the dopamine on your brain. How can you still feel the same once that effect wears off? Maybe I just need more experience with long term relationships in order to figure that one out. Further reflection on the subject might come in the future...


No comments:

Post a Comment