Monday, October 26, 2009

Quote of the month

Ok I know that when you talk about the quote of the month it's supposed to be just that: A quote. But I want to put here three quotes that come back to the same subject which has been on my mind a lot lately.

"I submit to you that if a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live."
Martin Luther King Jr.

"I feel sorry for the person who can't get genuinely excited about his work. Not only will he never be satisfied, but he will never achieve anything worthwhile."
Walter Chrysler

"Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing: the result."
Vince Lombardi

All these things might seem common sense to most people, but to me it has been a bit of a revelation. I have been thinking about my future and about career options a lot lately. And that last quote struck a chord in my reflections. The effort you put into something is completely irrelevant and no one is going to give you brownie points because you have done your best. Your best is worthless unless it can produce results. So then when you choose a career, don't take into account such futile things like the pay or how likely you are to find a job in the field. Because you won't be able to keep your job if you aren't good at what you are doing. And maybe I'm just a naive kid whose eyes have suddenly been opened, but having the typical teenage flaw, I always considered myself somewhat invincible. In school, I always managed to get myself out of the most impossible situations and I did it fairly well. But the real world isn't like school and just telling myself that I'm going to be ok isn't enough anymore. I have to make up my mind, do something, and do it well! Or else nothing will matter... and that's scary.


No comments:

Post a Comment