Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pursuits

I really don't have time for this but I feel that if I don't get it out now, it'll probably choke me as I walk towards my bus stop. And as a side note, I am wondering how healthy it really is to be writing all this down on a blog instead of just telling it to an actual person. It probably ties in with everything I guess. Paper, or in this case electronic bits on an unknown server somewhere in the world, they don't talk back, they don't argue. They take all your arguments as being the ultimate truth. You cannot be wrong as there is no one to disprove you. And this brings me to my main point: perfection. I do believe I have been talking about this before. Naturally, as it has been on my mind constantly for the past couple of years. Perfection put on a pedestal. Perfection elevated up to an art. Perfection on a white frame hung up on the wall. Perfection pursued with a tenacity that becomes maladive. I think I read somewhere that perfectionists also tend to be procrastinators because, unless they have that perfect idea on how to start the job (and let's be honest, how often does that happen?), they will put off starting to work on it, waiting for divine inspiration to strike. And when that doesn't happen, you eventually run out of time and do it last minute in sictir simply because you don't have any other choice. But anyway, this is not supposed to be an apology for why I'm constantly doing my assignments at 2 AM the night before I have to hand them in. I guess that what I'm trying to say is that the  pursuit of perfection and excellence is ingrained in our society (just look at the presidential elections in the US... you're not allowed to have one single fault) to the point of it becoming a part of our nature. Every new year we pledge that we will become better, healthier, more organized, more loving, more open, etc. Only to fail miserably every single year. And then we beat ourselves up over it. So my question is this: perfection might be a pretty concept (kind of like unicorns), but does it make us happy? I might try my hardest to be critical and smart and thin, but does that make me happier than the poor slob who's laughing his ass off watching Charlie the unicorn. And after all what is happiness? Yes, I know, 3 000 years of philosophy haven't been able to answer that question, what the hell are my chances of figuring it out? Probably slim to none, but there are some questions that never leave you. And maybe when you can stop worrying about the end, you can actually enjoy the ride. Maybe a better strategy would be to pursue the perfection of each moment and take the chance that the end result would be less than perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment