Monday, January 3, 2011

Holding on to Now


Here you are now, finally, now, you are here, now, but now is not now, now would be now if now wouldn’t have passed while I was telling you that you are here now, but you are here, here with me and you and here and please forgive me for now, because now is not here anymore, unfortunately we won’t be seeing him anymore, because now is gone and how dreadful that is, but, oh well, you are here even though now isn’t. What is that? Now will forever be here? Well not now now, but the new now will follow the old one who will no longer be now and when the new now will be gone, another will follow and so no now will ever be with us long enough as it is forever passing and forever fleeting. I’m sorry what were you saying? Why does it matter? Well, young lady, it certainly does matter for, if now always comes and goes, how can you ever sit down for tea with him? He is dreadfully rude I must say and it is terribly hard to uphold a conversation with him. I have been telling him for ages to slow down and just sit down and have a cup of tea with us. I tell you, there is simply nothing to be done with him. Now is simply a horrid guest to have and I am so sorry you had to be exposed to his ruddish ways and on your first visit here too. Please accept my deepest apologies, will you? I’m sorry dear, you’ll have to speak up. My hearing isn’t as good as it used to be when I first started drinking tea. You say you are not here for now? Well, of course you are here for now! Since you are here now! If only now could stay for a moment, I’m sure he could make you feel much more welcome! When you manage to catch up with him, his conversation is most stimulating I must say! Though he seems to be in much of a hurry today. It must be you who scared him off my dear! You are such an interesting young lady and, you see, now does not like interesting people as their conversation may enter in competition with his own. So you must understand, in those situations he simply panics and runs faster and faster. However, when our guests are complete and utter bores, now all of a sudden slows down until almost stopping. Oh if only you were a bore dear. Oh but, by the Queen’s head, I think I’ve got it Mr. Rabbit! Why we just have to find ourselves a bore and now will then have to stop and sit down for tea with us! And then Alice will finally get to meet him! Would you like that my dear? Oh, what am I saying? Of course you would! Since you are here now and for now and now will have to be here now, for now is not now without now…

No comments:

Post a Comment